Congratulations to VBVRS’s Chief Ellen McBride, who recently received the 2015 Silver Medal Award from the American Advertising Federation of Greater Hampton Roads. She was recognized for her contributions to the community and the advertising industry at the organization’s annual awards dinner on March 7, where she was referred to as the “Swiss Army knife of creative ideas.
John “Bruddy” Baillio has received the 2014 Gilpin Distinguished Service Award. He was recognized for his decade-long dedication to the Virginia Beach Rescue Squad Foundation at the VBVRS’s 63rd Annual Awards Banquet on Jan. 10. “Bruddy has been a steadfast and significant force in the advancement of the Virginia Beach rescue squad system,” says Kitty Schaum of the Va. Beach Rescue Squad Foundation.
Davis Corner Volunteer Rescue Squad has recognized member Matthew Armey with the 2015 Robert H. Slack Mentor Award. In his seven years as a volunteer, Matt has become a positive role model with an “I know you can do it” attitude. This award was created in memory of Robert H. Slack, a Life Member with nearly 20 years of active service with DCVRS; he was a mentor to many before his passing in 2009.
The Virginia Beach Rescue Squad Foundation has announced the following 2015 Grant Recipients:
- Chesapeake Beach Volunteer Rescue Squad – $30,000 for ambulance upgrades
- Ocean Park Volunteer Rescue Squad – $40,000 for a new power-stretcher and Power-LOAD system
- Plaza Volunteer Rescue Squad – $6,500 toward high visibility rain jackets
- Council of Virginia Beach Volunteer Rescue Squads, Inc. (Rescue Council) – $3,060 toward portable carbon monoxide monitors
- Virginia Beach Volunteer Water Rescue Team, Inc. (Marine Rescue) – $8,200 toward new drysuits
- Virginia Beach EMS Volunteer Search and Rescue Bike Team (SAR & Bike Teams) – $7,453 toward new bikes, bags, helmets and generators
Congratulations to the following individuals who were named by the Virginia Beach Rescue Squad Foundation as recipients of the 2015 Langhorne & Pulley Memorial Scholarships:
- Joseph M. Achesinski – Student at Longwood University
- Meridith Borza – Medical Student at Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine – Virginia Tech
- Anthony Busch – Physician Assistant Student at Eastern Va. Medical School
- Lucie R. Ford – Medical Student at Eastern Va. Medical School
- Patrick S. Kiley – Student at James Madison University
- James M. McMullen – Physician Assistant Student at Eastern Va. Medical School
- Dwayne Morris – Medical Student at Eastern Va. Medical School